As the tenure of the BJP government in Gujarat is in its last phase, the Gujarat Elections 2017 is around the corner. This time, it is going to be a triangular contest. It would be interesting to know if BJP who has been in power in Gujarat from 1995 will be able to win it again, or Congress will make an unexpected comeback, or AAP will be able to win the mandate of people.
The tenure of the BJP government ends on the 22nd January 2018. The elections might take place in November – December 2017.
Here is the brief information about the upcoming Gujarat elections 2017 which you must know –
- The elections would be held for 182 seats, out of which 13 seats are reserved for SC and 27 for ST.
- In order to have a majority, a party has to win a minimum of 92 seats.
- The main contenders for the Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 are Indian National Congress, Bhartiya Janta Party, and Aam Aadmi Party. BJP would be rooting to keep a hold on the state while Congress and AAP will try to dethrone the BJP in Gujarat.
The 13th Gujarat assembly election which was won by BJP saw three chief ministers. Narendra Modi and Anandiben Patel both served for 2-2 years subsequently. Vijay Rupani is the current service chief minister of Gujarat.
Here is what happened in last Gujarat elections which had taken place in 2012 –
Read more: Gujarat Elections 2017: How Did BJP Perform In The Last 5 Years?
On October 25, 2017, the Gujarat Election Commission announced the dates of the Gujarat Elections that is to be held in December 2017. Here’s a brief summary of information that is essential to know about the Chief Election Commissioner’s announcement.
- The elections would be held in two phases – first on 9th December and the second on 14th December 2017.
- The first phase of the elections would be conducted in 19 districts for a total of 89 seats. While the second phase of the elections would cover 14 districts with a total of 93 seats.
- The election would have an approximate total of 50, 128 polling stations, out of which 182 will be managed by women officers.
Who do you think will win the Gujarat Elections 2017? Do give your views on the comment box below.